Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chemo and food

Never in my life has food been so important to me.  Strange huh?  I have spent most of my life wanting to lose weight and counting calories.  Now I am trying to figure out what I want to eat and making sure I get enough food in me for strength.  Strange huh?  Chemo changes the taste buds alot and I mean alot.  No potato chips for me, no french fries, nothing salty is good.  Even a hamburger - i make myself eat.  The really good stuff is sweet and creamy.  And drinks........when I first get chemo it can't be cold because of the meds.  About a week out I can revert back to cold again.  So what do I like now.  Applesauce, Apple juice (not the non sweetened kind mind you).  KOOL-Aid (cherry), Mt. Dew, chocolate milk, and sometimes gatorade.  (got a little burned out on it at first till I figured out what I would drink).  As far as food, really other than applesauce, I make myself eat.  I did get me some grapes and they were good.  Smfd Chicken n BBQ's potato salad still rocks.  And the ribs at KickBack Jacks in Garner.  I can eat a 1/2 rack of those but that's all.  Everything else is either not good or I eat it just to eat.  I did buy myself some pasta salad in the deli to try along with potato salads since the creamy things work best.  So far my weight isn't dropping too quickly.  Ensure provides me with added nutrients and I feel like I am getting the right amount of food in.  So pray God blesses the food I do eat, helps me find more things to eat.  That I get the strength I need from what I do intake.

And for everyone bringing food, my family really appreciates it.  Depending on what it is I partake too.  I won't tell you I eat every meal because that would not be true but I usually get me a small portion just to see if I like it and if I do I get more.  Thanks to everyone bringing food.....it is appreciated.

and as an update.  I hope to find out my next steps when I receive chemo next Tuesday.  They originally set me up on 4 treatments.  I suspect scans will follow and then next steps will be mapped out.  I'll keep you posted.  I am a little ready to know myself.  If the spots have shrunk or not.  I do know my back pain and abdominal pain that took me to seek help have gone so that is a good sign at least pain wise.  That part is working well.  Keep praying for healing or more specifically God's will!!!!!!!

Keep Praying and Keep Looking up! 

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment