Monday, November 7, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 7

Today I thank God for a position in our church that is often overlooked.  That is the role of the Deacon.  In the past couple of years I have watched as deacons were chosen and as they served.  I truly believe that this position is a calling of God.  I respect those called into this position and I am truly thankful for the ones that have been placed over my family.  The reason this has really hit me lately is the concern that has been shown to me because of my sickness.  When a illness or condition is prolonged, it is easy to forget that someone is still sick or should I say not forget that fact but actually to forget to check on the person that is ill.  I have never been one that needed a lot of attention.  I don't need someone checking in on me all the time.  But I can tell you in the last two years, it made me feel really good when my deacon would just stop and say "how are you doing?"  I really feel like they care.  We have such a big church that you don't get to know everyone there.  And the deacon you get may be someone who you know who they are but you don't really know them.  But from what I have seen the past two years, that didn't matter.  Once I was under their "care" they checked up on me....just every once in a while and it made me feel good.  I can't explain it completely because like I said, I don't need a lot of attention but just yesterday when I got stopped in the front by my deacon, just to find out if I was o.k. , it made me feel good.  It made me smile on the inside.  You know I think it is the love of God that you see shining from the heart.  There was sincerity and not a duty linked to being checked on.  Yep....that's it.  It's deacons, that accept the call, that listen to God, and use take their position as yet another step in being a servant of God.  I see the servant's heart shining thru and that makes my heart happy.  So there is my thanks for today,  its been on my heart since yesterday and it would not leave.  Thank God for the deacons that have been there for my family.  And can I just add that in my time at WMBC, we have gotten a different deacon each year and our very first deacon will still stop and ask, how's the family, how are you?  Oh, yes I see God shining still.

Join me in praying for all the deacons at our church and for the ones at your church.  This is a position that was set forth to help in providing for the members of a church.  They are their for our spiritual support and we should pray for them daily.  May God bless our deacons and their families. 

Keep Praying and Keep Looking UP

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment